I originally developed this recipe for my salted caramel martinis, but I've used this sauce on ice cream, in frosting, on cakes, and brownies too. It is very versatile and brings a richness and depth of flavor to most everything.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp Russell's Reserve Bourbon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Heat sugar and water on medium low heat until it is a amber color. Sometimes I cook it to a deep color as in the photo above and sometimes not as dark as the photo on the right. I suggest using a silicon spatula for stirring occasionally. I also like to use a non stick pan. Do not over cook and burn, which can easily happen if you aren't watching as the color turns.
- Remove from heat and slowly add cream while stirring.
- Add the bourbon and salt.
- Store in a mason jar or other heat resistant glass container. Can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
- To serve reheat on low in microwave or stove. Watch carefully to not over heat.
1 Tbsp = 51 Calories