Trying to make a good quality home made trail mix or granola bar is really not very hard. This one is my favorite recipes and is a jazzed up riff on Alton Brown's Granola Bar
s. I'm sure you will love it. Ingredients
(Substitute for any of the following ingredients generously.)
- 2 1/2 Cups Mixed Nuts
- 1/2 Cup Raisins
- 1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 Cup Dried Blueberries
- 1/4 Sliced Almonds
- 1/8 Cup Dried Apricots
- 1/8 Cup Dried Mangos
- 1/8 Cup Roasted Peanuts
- 1/8 Cup Dried Cherries
- 1/16 Cup Chia Seeds
- 1 Cup Honey
- 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Cups Rolled Oats
- Butter For Pan
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the trail mix ingredients or just buy a good quality trail mix and use a little more than 5 cups.
- Add the oats to the trail mix. (Alton has you toast the oats,
- In a sauce pan on the stove heat the syrup ingredients to boiling and then simmer about a minute making sure the brown sugar is completely dissolved.
- Butter a 9x13 pan completely. Get all the corners.
- Add the syrup mixture to the trail mix and mix thoroughly. The chocolate chips will melt.
- Press the mixture into the pan so it is evenly flat.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Cool completely and cut into individual bars.
- Wrap the bars in plastic. They will last about a week and are great for snacks and meal replacement.
We use these bars for breakfast, lunch and snacks. I like to package them up in plastic wrap individually so they can be grab and go for the family. Way better than those purchased bars! © Russell W Peterson | DayParentDad.com | 10.22.14